Fiji has a tropical climate. The winters are dry and warm and the summers are hot and wet. Winter temperatures can still reach up to 30 degrees, but the evenings will be cool. The cyclone season runs November to April.
When to fly to Fiji
There's no bad time to visit Fiji but watch out for cyclone season (November to April).
June-September is the high season when most Australian and New Zealand visitors take cheap flights to Fiji.
December to February is the low season.
May and September are shoulder months.
Getting around Fiji
There are several airlines offering flights around Fiji including Pacific Sun, Air Fiji, Pacific Island Seaplanes and Island Hoppers Helicopters. Domestic airstrips and airports are dotted around the islands including at Nadi, Nausori, Mana Island, Labasa, Savusavu, Taveuni, Vanua Balavu, Kadavu, Lakeba and Moala.
There is good ferry service to the Mamanuca Islands and Yasawa Islands. The Yasawa Flyer catamaran departs from the marina at Denarau every day.
Air-conditioned coaches connect the resorts with major towns, but travelling on the local open-window buses is a great way of getting around Fiji and experiencing it like a local.
Taxis and share-taxis are plentiful and cheap. FJ$2.50 ($1.50 AU) is about what you'll pay to travel in the average town or city.
Fiji insider information
Things to do in Fiji
- World Heritage status from UNESCO is awaited, but Levuka has plenty to recommend it. It's Fiji’s old capital on Ovalau Island east of Viti Levu. It's a town of many "firsts" in Fiji: the first permanent European settlement in the pacific islands, had the first bank, the first public school, the first hospital, the first Wesleyan, Methodist, and Anglican churches.
- Catch a rugby game if you can. It is the most popular sport in Fiji. According to a survey by the International Rugby Board, there are more post-schools rugby players than in New Zealand and almost as many as in Australia.
- After taking in the sights and smells of Suva's municipal market, take a trip to Colo-i-Suva Forest Park. The park was once a tropical lowland rainforest but has been interplanted with mahogany. It's one of the best ecotourism attractions in Fiji.
- The Garden of the Sleeping Giant is located close to Nadi. These landscaped gardens were created by the actor Raymond Burr (Perry Mason and Ironside) in the 1970s and are home to an impressive collection of orchids. The beautiful gardens are open Monday to Saturday from 9am to 5pm.
How much do people tip in Fiji?
- Fijians don't expect visitors to tip but if you do experience exemplary service after you've taken cheap flights to Fiji, by all means treat your server with a generous tip.