Find the best prices for you!
Prices found by our users for Local departures to Wellington
The climate is temperate. Winter temperatures rarely fall beneath 8 degrees and summer temperatures rarely soar above 25 degrees. It's rare to hit zero degrees or below however, inland, there are frosts and snow sometimes. Wellington is known as a windy city, and visitors should also remember that the sunshine in New Zealand is very strong.
When to fly to Wellington
December to February is high season in Wellington.
May to September is the low season.
Getting around Wellington
The best way to see Wellington is on foot. Its centre is compact, just 2km wide. If you are travelling outside the city, Metlink operates the bus, train and ferry services in Wellington, Porirua, Kapiti, Hutt Valley and Wairarapa. Fares in Wellington start at about a dollar. A Snapper card is the cheapest way to pay for single journeys on nearly 400 buses in the Wellington region, across Go Wellington, Valley Flyer, Airport Flyer and Runcimans services.
The Wellington Cable Car, one of Wellington’s most popular attractions, trundles from Lambton Quay to the top entrance of the Botanic Gardens and Te Whanganui-a-Tara (The Great Harbour of Tara) from where you can look out over the city and harbour.
Taxis are readily available.
Wellington insider information
- Wellington's World of Wearable Art (WOW) awards in September is a popular event. It's a mixture of fashion, art and theatre attracting more than 35,000 New Zealanders and more and more international visitors each year.
- The Toast Martinborough festival takes place in the Wairarapa region north of Wellington in November. Keep hold of your tasting glass, it's the ticket into the ten vineyards that are taking part in the one-day winery crawl.
- Keep a little space in your bags on your cheap flights to New Zealand for some greenstone, New Zealand's answer to jade.
- Parliament Tours run on the hour, every hour, and are free of charge.
- Enjoy the views: here are a few spots to enjoy this beautiful city. Mount Victoria at 196 metres is Wellington's best lookout. It takes about an hour to walk up from Courtenay Place. Mount Kaukau at 445 metres is further out from the city than Mt Victoria. Wrights Hill (underground tunnels dating from the Second World War are open to the public on a few days during the year for a small fee).
Airports for Wellington
Cheapest flights to New Zealand
How much do things cost in Wellington?
Other user searches
- Cheap flights to Narita from Adelaide International
- Michigan flights
- Flights to New Caledonia
- Flights from Rockhampton to John F. Kennedy International
- Flights to Bali