Virgin Airlines Australia is the second largest airline in Australia and was founded in Brisbane in 2000. It services 29 cities in Australia using a business model that blends both the budget approach with a full service legacy model for those passengers willing to pay a little extra. It is part of the global Virgin Group owned by Richard Branson, and most recently won the Best Pacific Airline award by the Travel Trade Gazette Travel Awards.Search Virgin Australia Flights
What Are My Virgin Australia Check-In Options?
What are the Virgin Australia Baggage Allowance Limits and Fees?
Virgin Australia Additional Fees and Charges
What Virgin Australia Amenities Are There?
How Can I Contact Virgin Australia Customer Service?
What Are My Virgin Australia Check-In Options?
For Mobile Boarding Passes and Priority Boarding you can check in online using this portal by entering your domestic booking details ahead of your flight. You can choose to receive your boarding pass via SMS, Email, Passbook (where applicable), or print it ready to hand in at the check-in kiosk.
International passengers and those passengers with special service requests can only check in at the airport.International short haul check-in opens 2 hours prior to scheduled flight departure time, while international long haul check-in opens 3 hours prior to scheduled flight departure time.
Flying With Children
- Infants (under 2 years) travel free if they do not occupy a seat, although seats can be purchased for infants for extra comfort. The seat will be charged at full price (for domestic services). On Trans-Tasman and International services, infants are charged at 10% of full fare if they do not occupy a seat. If you choose to purchase a seat for your infant on international flights, their fare will be 75% of the standard adult fare.
- Note that bassinets are available onboard all international long haul flights, although they are subject to availability.
- All guests between the ages of 2 years and 12 yearsare classed as a child and must occupy a seat with their own ticket. For domestic services and Trans-Tasman flights, a child seat is charged at full price. Children flying on short-haul international flights are charged 75% of the standard fare, and 50% to 75% on long-haul flights.
Virgin Australia considers a child to be an Unaccompanied Minor if the child is travelling without the supervision of the child’s parent or guardian or another person aged 15 years or older (including if the child is travelling in a different class or cabin to that person). Any child aged 5-11 years (inclusive) must be booked as an Unaccompanied Minor. If your child is not listed as an Unaccompanied Minor, they will not be accepted for travel alone and will be denied travel at the airport. To make a booking, you will need to do so over the Guest Contact Centre. You will need to have the following information on hand:
- Child’s name, age and gender.
- The name and contact details of the child’s parent or legal guardian.
- Sender’s name, address, phone number and relationship to child (and if the Sender is not the parent or legal guardian, their age).
- Receiver’s name, address, phone number and relationship to child (and if the Receiver is not the parent or legal guardian, their age).
- Any special instructions (e.g. allergies, medical conditions, fear of flying).
- Booking password to make future changes to flight details (drop-off or pick up).
Flying While Pregnant
Virgin Australia has a policy specifying the latest stage that pregnant woman can take flights:
- No later than the end of week 36 if pregnant with one baby; or
- No later than the end of week 32 if pregnant with more than one child
- Within 48 hours of delivery Normal Vaginal Delivery (NVD)
A medical certificate is required for any pregnancy with expected complications. Clearance is also required where the (NVD) pregnancy is expected within 5 days.
Bookings for 10 or more people who wish to be seated together can be arranged by requesting a quote through Virgin Australia’s group booking form here. Please provide the following information in your email:
- Name of the person to be contacted.
- A daytime telephone number.
- Number of passengers. (including children)
- Flight dates.
The Virgin Australia Senior Fare entitles seniors 60 years and over to a standard discount of 40% off the Virgin Australia Flexi (Y) Fare when travelling on Virgin Australia between selected city pairs. These include travel between:
- Albany, Busselton, Esperance, Learmonth, Ravensthorpe, Geraldton and Perth.
- Busselton and Albany.
- Esperance and Ravensthorpe.
Note that you will need to give proof of age at time of booking.
Wheelchairs/mobility aids are carried free of charge when required for personal use by a guest who is travelling with Virgin Australia. Due to restrictions in aircraft hold space, there is a limit on the amount of electric wheelchairs/mobility aids permitted per flight. The maximum amount and dimensions of electric wheelchairs/mobility aids are:
- 84cm x 100cm x 125cm on A330s, 737s and Embraer planes.
- 84cm x 70 cm x 90cm on the ATR72.
Virgin Australia accepts dogs and cats for pet travel on both domestic and international flights. Pet bookings must be made via the Guest Contact Centre. Pets not booked in advance will be refused travel and sent as freight, on a different flight, at a higher fee. Virgin Australia accepts a maximum of two pet cages per flight on A330, 737 and Embraer aircraft, and one cage per flight on ATR aircraft.
International passengers wishing to travel with their pets need to contact an approved international Pet and Animal Transportation Association (IPATA) pet agent, as Virgin Australia does not accept bookings for pets directly from international passengers.
Certified and Registered Guide / Hearing Dogs are welcome on board Virgin Australia flights when accompanying a guest who has a vision or hearing impairment, provided that the dog is wearing their coat, and/or have their ID medallion on their collar, and the handler has their Handler ID.
Note that you must make your booking through the Guest Contact Centre if you plan to fly with your guide dog.
All guests travelling on Virgin Australia’s Domestic, International Short-Haul and International Long-Haul flights are permitted 7kg carry-on baggage, consisting of :
- Two small bags/briefcases, each with the Maximum Dimensions 48cm x 34cm x 23cm
- A Suit/Garmet bag with Maximum Dimensions 114cm x 60cm x 11cm, can be substituted for one of the small bags
Liquids may only be carried in containers holding 100ml or less. They must be carried separately in a single plastic bag which is:
- Transparent and resealable
- No larger than 20cm x 20cm (8in x 8in)
- Able to close properly with all the items inside.
Each passenger is permitted a maximum of 1000ml (e.g 10 x 100ml) in their carry-on baggage. Liquids in containers over 100ml will not be permitted through security. You will need to pack them in your checked baggage instead.
Virgin Australia Checked Luggage Size
- The number of items and their respective weight allowance differs slightly depending on your fare type and “Velocity” membership level:
|Saver||1 x 23kg||2 x 23kg||2 x 23kg||3 x 23kg|
|Flexi||1 x 23kg||2 x 23kg||2 x 23kg||3 x 23kg|
|Business||2 x 32kg||2 x 32kg||2 x 32kg||3 x 32kg|
- Note that each piece of baggage may not exceed a total linear dimension (length + width + height) of 140cm.
- Saver Lite Fares have no included checked baggage allowance, however additional baggage can be added at a fee.
Sports Equipment and Musical Instruments
Each item of sporting equipment represents one piece of checked baggage allowance, provided that it does not exceed the maximum size and weight limits.
- Surfboards may only be accepted if packaged in a protective covering.
- Snow skis and snowboards may only be accepted on-board as checked baggage if packaged in a protective bag.
- Bicycles are accepted as checked baggage if packaged in hard or soft bike box. Bike boxes may be purchased at the airport check-in counter.
- Musical instruments are allowed on-board as cabin-
baggage and are equivalent to one piece of cabin-baggage, providing that the instrument, including its case, doesn’t exceed the maximum dimensions: 85cm x 34cm x 23cm. Musical instruments exceeding these dimensions must be checked-in and count towards a passenger’s checked-luggage allowance.
Extra and Overweight Baggage Fees
If you plan to take extra bags above your inclusive checked baggage allowance, you can add up to 2 extra pieces online before you head to the airport:
- $35 for 1 additional piece
- $70 for 2 additional pieces
At the airport, rates are higher:
For a full overview of fees for Virgin Australia baggage, click here.
Flight Change Fees
- When travelling with a Saver Ticket a flight change fee of $80 plus fare difference will apply if you alter your departure date or time (per passenger, per flight) online.
- If you cancel your flight entirely, you will be refunded the cost of your flight minus a $110 cancellation fee. Making the change at the airport or via the airline’s hotline will incur an additional $35 fee.
- Note that the Flight Change Fee stated above, does not apply for business or some Flexi tickets.
Flight Cancellation Policy
If your flight is cancelled, you can:
- Change/move onto another Virgin Australia flight free of charge.
- Be refunded in full if you no longer wish to fly at all, or receive a credit for flight of equal value valid for 12 months.
- Be re-routed to your destination on another carrier under comparable conditions.
Virgin Australia will pay for hotel accommodation as well as transport to and from the hotel for you. Contact a member of staff in the airport to arrange this. They will also give you $50 for meal expenses.
Virgin Australia offers a range of travel insurance products via Allianz, including cover for:
The different plans may include benefits such as hospital cash allowance, disability, loss of income, theft of cash, as well as cancellation fees and lost deposits.
Lounges (for Velocity members)
Almost all lounges have TV and free newspapers and magazines, Wi-Fi access, coffee and beverages. Exclusive installations ranging from a complimentary shoe shine to unique music features are also available.
Virgin Australia offers a variety of in-flight entertainment operated on a complimentary or pay per view basis depending on the booked route and cabin class travelled.
Food and Refreshments
Depending on the type of fare, cabin class and route booked, Virgin Australia offers a range of food and beverage choices on their domestic and international short-haul flights.
All guests travelling on long-haul international flights receive complimentary food a beverage options. Business class customers are also offered a full, three-course dining experience on flights over 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Virgin Australia offers a selection of meals for passengers with special dietary requirements, for more information click here.
Passengers have the option to reserve a seat ahead of boarding, and can change their selection up to 2 hours prior to departure. Once you have checked in and your seat has been allocated, you can upgrade to a higher priced seat at the time of booking or online via the Guest Contact Centre Manage Booking service. The following flight extras are offered for those who upgrade:
- Extra legroom seat
- Up Front seat
- All other seats
Prices start from $10 up to $175. Note that extra legroom seats are sold subject to availability, eligibility criteria, conditions and Exit Row safety requirements assessed on day of travel. To be seated in an Exit Row seat, you must be older than 15 years and be physically capable of assisting the crew in the event of an emergency.
Virgin Australia Frequent Flyer Program
Basic members of Virgin Australia’s Velocity frequent flyer program, are entitled to:
- Receive seating preferences on the plane for free (subject to availability)
- Use the Brisbane and Melbourne valet for free
- Receive family pooling points and status credits
- Member only promotions
Silver, Gold and Platinum members obtain further benefits including Velocity points bonus on Virgin Australia flights, international priority check-in, lounge access at all airports, complimentary baggage allowances and more.
The Virgin Australia contact number is 13 67 89 if calling from within Australia. You can find a Virgin Australia phone number if calling from outside Australia here.
Delayed, Missing or Damaged Luggage
Luggage lost or delayed on a Domestic, Short-Haul International or Long-Haul international flights, should be reported in the baggage reclaim area at the airport. Customers unable to report lost or damaged baggage at the airport must make a report in writing with regard to the following time limits:
- Loss or Destruction to part of an Item of Checked-Baggage: must be reported within 3 days for domestic flights and 7 days for international short-haul and international long-haul flights.
- Damage, Loss or Destruction of Carry-on Baggage: must be reported within 3 days of domestic flights and 7 days for international short-haul and international long-haul flights.
You can download a copy of the baggage claim form here.
If your baggage is delayed, and you have notified the airline by filling out a delayed baggage report, you will be given a 10 digit reference number. This number will allow you to follow the status of your delayed luggage via the WorldTracer online baggage tracing system.
Virgin Australia Airline Compensation
Virgin Australia’s liability is limited to $1,600AUD in respect to the destruction damage or loss to your checked baggage; $160AUD in respect to carry-on baggage; and $725,000AUD in respect to bodily injury to you or your death. Domestic travellers should send their completed claim forms to:
PO Box 1034
Spring Hill QLD 4004
Fax: +61 7 32955642
International travellers will need to send it to the following address:
Virgin Australia International Baggage Claims
380 World Way